Plane and Statue of Kamikaze Pilot Near Chiran Peace
Chiran Speech Contest
Junior High School Division
The Chiran Speech Contest established a junior high school division in 1998
for students in Kagoshima Prefecture. The number of contestants has quickly
grown to over 800 annually. In 2004, students from 24 junior high schools
applied for the speech contest.
Students submit speech drafts with topics related to the preciousness of life and the importance of peace.
The selection committee chooses four finalists, who give their speeches in
Chiran Town on August 15.
The first-prize winner receives 150 thousand yen (US$1,360) in book and gift
certificates. The second-prize and two third-prize winners receive 100 thousand
yen and 50 thousand yen, respectively. Each winner also gets a certificate
of commendation and a bronze trophy.
This web site presents English translations of selected winning speeches from
- And For the Future, Ai Kamisono,
First Prize, 2002
- Life and Peace, Eri Nakahara, Honorable Mention,
- One More Life We Uphold, Ayumi Tominaga, Honorable
- Smiling Faces of Peace, Rina Natsusako, Honorable
- Thinking About Peace, Ayaka Tanaka, Third Prize,
- Thoughts About Peace, Rimi Hamasaki, Honorable
- Two Photos, Nozomi Kuwashiro, Second Prize, 2002